Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another, tastier, zebra cake . . .



I have found my favorite cake recipe. It's from Recipezaar, White Almond Sour Cream Cake. Half a recipe makes a 9x13 cake.

The texture is wonderful, moist, but durable enough to stack without crumbling. And it's delicious.

I made two 6" layers (and a pan of cupcakes that I delivered to a special friend). After leveling (it didn't require much trimming), I cut each layer in half and filled with strawberry cream cheese filling. Unfortunately I had extra filling and I've been eating it on everything! It's delicious.

I was a little concerned about the layers slipping because I used a generous amount of filling. I probably should have stabilized it with a dowel, but I didn't. Here's what it looked like filled. Notice my layers are not even. I never measure, but I will if I'm trying to get more than two layers from a cake.

I made a pink bow to go on top, this time using a trick I saw in the Cake Art book, layering two colors, so the bow was pink on the outside and white on the inside. If I was bolder, I would have tried black on the inside to really make the pink pop. Maybe next time.

I covered the cake in white almond fondant, cut black zebra stripes, and attached the bow to the top. Turned out very cute, but I didn't trim enough off the sides after I covered it, so the edges were "baggy" for lack of a better word.

I just hope that the bow held up and the layers didn't slip before they ate it!

Trimmed with the Susan Komen pink M&Ms. If I had known those were limited edition, I would have stocked up.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home